Once, there were gods in the earth. Far past any mortal memory, they cavorted and roamed in the emerald dawn of the world. But they are gone now, and little evidence of their nature or their fate remains: cryptic pictograms, ruined megalithic structures, and the land-wights.
Loyal servitors, each land-wight was invested with a fraction of their creators’ divine power. Some slumber, dutifully waiting for their makers’ return. Others ceaselessly carry out the last task appointed to them. A rare few, the verdighast, have gone rogue.
No. appearing: Solitary
Hit Dice: Medium-sized 3-5, Large-sized 6-9, Huge-sized 10-14, Colossal 15+; saves as fighter.
Movement: as normal human; land-wights can also burrow through the ground at their normal movement speed.
Armor: Heavy; non-magical physical and elemental attacks deal half-damage.
Attack: unarmed strike x 2 (Medium 1d6, Large 1d8, Huge 1d10, Colossal 1d12)
Earth-power: Land-wights can cast spells from the following list as a druid of a level equivalent to their hit dice:
- 1st: create or destroy water, entangle, healing word, speak with animals
- 2nd: animal messenger, gust of wind, heat metal, spike growth
- 3rd: plant growth, speak with plants, water walk
- 4th: control water, ice storm, stone shape
- 5th: commune with nature, wall of stone
- 6th: move earth, wall of thorns
While most land-wights are content to placidly abide the march of time, either dormant or in tireless labor, some succumb to despair, while others cast off their conditioning. The result is the same: a verdighast, a being that simultaneously holds the whole world in contempt and covets it as a birthright.
Verdighast have the same statistics as land-wights, but they use their power in different, more destructive ways. They cast spells from the following list as a druid of a level equivalent to their hit dice:
- 1st: create or destroy water, entangle, inflict wounds, speak with animals
- 2nd: flaming sphere, gust of wind, heat metal, shatter
- 3rd: call lightning, sleet storm, wind wall
- 4th: blight, dominate beast, wall of fire
- 5th: contagion, insect plague
- 6th: circle of death, sunbeam